My Favorite Thing — Right Now This Second!
Recently I was participating in one of my favorite pastimes — watching the food network, and for the first time ever, I actually tried a couple of the recipes. It’s not unusual for me to say I’m going to try a recipe, and have even gone as far as to print them, but never seemed to get around to actually trying one. Always with the greatest of intention though!
Anyway, this particular segment really intrigued me because it included three things that I really love: 1) easy-to-do, 2) snacks; and 3) Kale. Now anyone who knows me knows I ♥ me some snacks… but baked kale chips? What? That green leafy thing? The kale I normally cook is something I affectionately call “Bluefield Greens” – cooked with smoked turkey (my momma’s recipe). But, in my quest to find healthier snacks, this sounded like just the ticket. Go on… do tell.
Here’s what I can tell you – I absolutely love them! Right now this second, they are the best thing ever! They are light, crispy and practically melt in your mouth and healthy too (and I hear kids like them). This snack has definitely replaced popcorn for me… for real! And that’s saying a lot!! Only one problem – I can’t seem to make enough. Here’s the recipe.
Baked Kale Chips!
1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 pinch (or 2) of pepper
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Remove the leaves from the stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry (salad spinner or paper towel).
- Place the kale leaves in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Massage the oil into the leaves.
- Arrange kale onto the sheet and sprinkle Salt and Pepper.
- Bake until the leaves are crisp to the touch and the edges are brown (but are not burnt) – about 15 minutes. (If they turn too brown, they’re a little bitter). Check at the 12-minute mark, to be sure.
I’ve now made them three times – and they are definitely a “must make again” snack. Next time, I think I will add some garlic or make them a little spicy! If you’ve got a craving for popcorn or potato chips, try making a big batch of crispy baked kale chips instead… and let me know how they turn out!
♥ Baked Kale Chips are My Favorite Thing … right now this second! ♥